Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Month of May

The Month of May cometh and it looks to be VERY BUSY.

Our embryo transfer dates are not set in stone.  I don't know if they're set in anything right now.  I've got a tentative timeline in my head that we're adhering to based on cycle estimations.  If the transfer is performed based on my cycles, and if my cycles continue as they have been, then the big FET will be somewhere between May 10 - 14.  Or it may not.

These dates can be altered by the drugs I'll be using to prep my body for the transfer.

Apart from the physical coordination/manipulation necessary for an embryo transfer, there's also the logistical coordination.  We're adopting embryos from two families who reside in two different states.  Each genetic parent has to complete current infectious disease screening on top of relinquishment paperwork and communication contracts.  And the embryos have to be shipped from wherever they are currently stored to our clinic.  Storks do not bring EA babies - FedEx does!

I have a list of things that we have to accomplish too.  Both Bryan and I had to complete our own infectious disease screening.  That wasn't too hard, once I found a facility that would take out of town doctor orders - we don't have LabCorp around here and the local hospitals were not cooperative.

I have to complete a uterine review, in this case, a hysterosalpingogram (HSG).  There is approximately only a three day window each cycle in which this exam can be performed.  I tried a few weeks ago only to find out that my local hospital will not take orders from out of town doctors unless they get privileges at the hospital.  Which isn't going to happen.  So I missed that time window.  Fortunately, I had a consult with my OB and brought him up to speed on the whole EA situation.  Now any procedure I need to obtain locally, he/his practice will more or less serve as the middle man and get me squared away.  I think.  We haven't tried to schedule anything yet.

Our current clinic requires either a copy of our home study or for us to complete psychological counseling (a requirement of all participants in the "donor program").  Fortunately, all I have to do is have our social worker send over a copy of our home study. 

As a "delightful" twist to this whole scenario, we found out yesterday that we're moving again.  In May.  Our landlord is returning to the area and wants the house back by June 1 (our lease ends May 31).  In looking at the calendar, I "think" we'll try to sign for our next house May 24 (what a wedding anniversary!) and move over that weekend (which is fortunately a holiday weekend).

And we made our reservations in the nick of time for our 10th anniversary getaway.  We got literally some of the last days available out of the whole summer - that place fills up fast!  We're going mid-June and it sounds like I'm going to be in desperate need of relaxation.

I guess in some ways it might make sense to try to move the transfer back to accomodate the move.  But with our move, anniversary trip, and possible small trip for a cousin's wedding, June is not a good month.  And I don't want to keep pushing back the FET just to find the "ideal time".  So I think we'll stick with May.  And pray really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment